What is the antonym of “confirmed”?
The antonym of confirmed is doubtful, uncertain, and unconfirmed. These antonyms convey a lack of certainty or assurance.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Feeling uncertain or unsure about something.
She was doubtful about the accuracy of the news report and decided to verify it.
Not able to be relied on; not known or definite.
The outcome of the election was uncertain until the final votes were counted.
Not verified or proven to be true.
The rumors about the celebrity's engagement were unconfirmed and could not be confirmed by any reliable sources.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Doubtful implies a feeling of uncertainty or skepticism.
- 2Uncertain suggests a lack of knowledge or information that makes it difficult to predict or determine something.
- 3Unconfirmed refers to information that has not been verified or proven to be true.
Good things to know
- 1Express Doubt: Use doubtful and uncertain to express skepticism or uncertainty in conversations.
- 2Report News: Incorporate unconfirmed in news reports to indicate that the information has not been verified.
- 3Discuss Plans: Use these antonyms to discuss plans or decisions that are not yet finalized or certain.
The antonyms of confirmed convey a lack of certainty or assurance. Doubtful implies skepticism, uncertain suggests a lack of knowledge, and unconfirmed refers to information that has not been verified. Use these words to express doubt, report news, or discuss plans that are not yet certain.