What is the antonym of “confound”?
The antonym of confound are clarify, enlighten, and explain. These antonyms convey the idea of making something clear or understandable. They imply a state of knowledge, comprehension, and understanding.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To make something easier to understand by explaining it more clearly.
Could you please clarify your instructions? I'm not sure what you mean.
To give someone knowledge or understanding about something.
I read this book to enlighten myself about the history of my country.
To make something clear or easy to understand by giving reasons for it or describing it in more detail.
Can you explain why you were late?
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Clarify is used when something is unclear or confusing and needs to be made more understandable.
- 2Enlighten is used when someone wants to gain knowledge or understanding about something.
- 3Explain is used when something needs to be described or detailed in order to be understood.
Good things to know
- 1Academic Writing: Use these antonyms to express ideas more clearly and concisely in academic writing.
- 2Professional Communication: Incorporate these antonyms in professional communication to avoid misunderstandings and confusion.
- 3Daily Conversation: Utilize these antonyms in daily conversations to clarify doubts and questions.
The antonyms clarify, enlighten, and explain convey the idea of making something clear or understandable. Use these words to enhance academic writing, professional communication, and daily conversation by avoiding misunderstandings and confusion.