What is the antonym of “conjoin”?
The antonyms of conjoin are separate, disconnect, and divide. These words convey the opposite meaning of bringing things together or combining them.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To set apart or keep apart; to divide into parts or groups.
She decided to separate the laundry into whites and colors.
To break the connection or communication between two or more things.
He had to disconnect the old printer before installing the new one.
To separate into parts or portions; to distribute or allocate.
The teacher asked the students to divide into groups for the project.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Separate implies a physical or spatial distance between two or more things.
- 2Disconnect suggests a disruption in communication or connection.
- 3Divide refers to the act of separating something into parts or portions.
Good things to know
- 1Daily Life: Use these antonyms when describing actions that involve breaking things apart or keeping them separate.
- 2Academic Writing: Incorporate these antonyms in essays or research papers to contrast different concepts or ideas.
- 3Technical Language: Utilize these antonyms in technical language to describe the process of breaking down complex systems or structures.