What is the antonym of “conjoint”?
The antonyms of conjoint are separate, disjoint, and divided. These words convey the opposite meaning of being together or connected.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not joined or united; existing or happening independently.
The two countries have separate governments and laws.
Lacking coherence or connection; separated or disconnected.
The argument was disjoint and lacked a clear structure.
Separated into parts or groups; not united or whole.
The country was divided into two factions with opposing views.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Separate implies that two or more things are not joined or united, while conjoint means they are connected or combined.
- 2Disjoint suggests a lack of coherence or connection, while conjoint implies a strong connection or relationship.
- 3Divided indicates that something is separated into parts or groups, while conjoint implies that things are united or whole.
Good things to know
- 1Academic Writing: Use these antonyms to describe relationships between variables or concepts.
- 2Daily Conversation: Incorporate these words to describe physical or emotional states.
- 3Creative Writing: Utilize these antonyms to create tension and conflict in narratives.