What is the antonym of “construe”?
The antonyms of construe are misinterpret and misunderstand. These words convey the opposite meaning of construe, which is to interpret or understand something in a particular way.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To understand or explain something wrongly or inaccurately.
He misinterpreted her words and thought she was angry with him.
To fail to understand something correctly; to have a mistaken idea about something.
She misunderstood the instructions and ended up making a mistake.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Misinterpret implies that someone has understood something wrongly or inaccurately, while construe implies that someone has interpreted something in a particular way.
- 2Misunderstand suggests that someone has failed to understand something correctly, while construe suggests that someone has understood something in a particular way.
Good things to know
- 1Clarify Communication: Use construe, misinterpret, and misunderstand to clarify communication and avoid misunderstandings.
- 2Improve Writing: Incorporate these antonyms in writing to create more precise and accurate language.
- 3Enhance Reading Comprehension: Utilize these antonyms to improve reading comprehension by identifying different interpretations of a text.