What is the antonym of “cook”?
The antonyms of cook are freeze, chill, and cool. The antonyms freeze, chill, and cool convey a lack of heat or warmth. It implies a state of being cold or frozen.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To cause a substance to become solid or hard by lowering its temperature.
She decided to freeze the leftover soup for later.
To make something cold or cool by reducing its temperature.
He likes to chill his drinks in the fridge before drinking them.
Having a lower temperature than is normal or desirable.
The weather was cool and breezy, perfect for a walk in the park.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Freeze means to make something solid or hard by lowering its temperature to below freezing point.
- 2Chill means to make something cold or cool by reducing its temperature, but not to the point of freezing.
- 3Cool means to have a lower temperature than is normal or desirable, but not necessarily to the point of being cold or frozen.
Good things to know
- 1Cooking: Use these antonyms when discussing different cooking methods such as freezing or chilling food.
- 2Weather: Use cool to describe the temperature of the weather.
- 3Drinks: Use chill to describe the process of cooling drinks.
The antonyms of cook are freeze, chill, and cool. These words convey a lack of heat or warmth. Use them when discussing different cooking methods, describing the temperature of the weather, or cooling drinks.