What is the antonym of “cooptation”?
The antonyms of cooptation are exclusion and rejection. The antonyms exclusion and rejection convey a negative or dismissive action. It implies a lack of acceptance, inclusion, or approval.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The act of keeping someone or something out; preventing entry or participation.
The exclusion of certain groups from the political process is a violation of their rights.
The act of refusing to accept, consider, or approve something or someone.
The rejection of his proposal left him feeling disappointed and discouraged.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Exclusion is an act of keeping someone or something out, while cooptation is an act of bringing someone or something in.
- 2Rejection is an act of refusing to accept or approve something or someone, while cooptation is an act of accepting or approving someone or something.
Good things to know
- 1Politics: Use cooptation and exclusion to describe political processes and strategies.
- 2Social Issues: Use rejection and exclusion to discuss social issues such as discrimination and inequality.
- 3Business: Use cooptation and rejection to describe business practices such as hiring and marketing.