Definitions and Examples of opposite, unlike
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Completely different or contrary in nature, direction, or meaning.
The two teams had opposite strategies for winning the game.
Not similar to someone or something else.
Her personality was unlike anyone else's that I had ever met.
Key Differences: opposite vs unlike
- 1Opposite implies a complete contrast or reversal of something.
- 2Unlike suggests a lack of similarity or dissimilarity between two things.
Effective Usage of opposite, unlike
- 1Comparing Differences: Use opposite and unlike to compare and contrast two things.
- 2Describing Characteristics: Use opposite and unlike to describe the unique qualities of something or someone.
- 3Expressing Preferences: Use opposite and unlike to express preferences or dislikes.
The antonyms of counterpart are opposite and unlike. While opposite implies a complete contrast or reversal of something, unlike suggests a lack of similarity or dissimilarity between two things. Use these words to compare differences, describe characteristics, and express preferences.