What is the antonym of “criticized”?
The antonyms of criticized are praise, commend, and applaud. These words convey a positive evaluation or feedback about someone or something, unlike criticized, which implies a negative judgment or disapproval.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To express approval or admiration for someone or something.
The teacher praised the student's hard work and dedication.
To recommend or endorse someone or something as worthy of attention or respect.
The manager commended the employee for his exceptional customer service skills.
To show approval or appreciation for someone or something by clapping hands or making noise.
The audience applauded the performer's outstanding talent and creativity.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Praise is a general term that describes expressing approval or admiration for someone or something.
- 2Commend is a more formal term that implies recommending or endorsing someone or something as worthy of attention or respect.
- 3Applaud is a complementary term that describes showing approval or appreciation for someone or something by clapping hands or making noise.
Good things to know
- 1Encourage Motivation: Use praise, commend, and applaud to motivate and inspire others.
- 2Express Gratitude: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to express gratitude and appreciation.
- 3Improve Relationships: Utilize these antonyms to build positive relationships and foster a supportive environment.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Praise conveys general approval, commend implies endorsement, and applaud refers to showing appreciation. Use these words to encourage motivation, express gratitude, and improve relationships by building a supportive environment.