What is the antonym of “dapper”?
The antonyms of dapper are unkempt, slovenly, and shabby. These words describe a person's appearance and convey the opposite of being neat, tidy, and stylish.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not combed or groomed; messy or untidy in appearance.
He looked unkempt with his hair sticking out in all directions.
Messy or careless in appearance or habits; not taking care of oneself.
She was always slovenly dressed, with stains on her clothes and unkempt hair.
Worn out or faded; in poor condition; showing signs of age or neglect.
His shabby coat had holes in the pockets and frayed cuffs.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Unkempt refers to a person's hair that is messy or uncombed.
- 2Slovenly describes a person who is generally untidy and careless in appearance and habits.
- 3Shabby refers to clothing or objects that are worn out, faded, or in poor condition.
Good things to know
- 1Describing Appearance: Use these antonyms to describe someone's appearance in detail.
- 2Fashion and Style: Use dapper and its antonyms to talk about fashion and style.
- 3Comparing and Contrasting: Use these antonyms to compare and contrast different styles or appearances.