What is the antonym of “decipher”?
The antonyms of decipher are encode, encrypt, and confuse. These words have opposite meanings to decipher, which means to convert a coded or encrypted message into plain text.
See all the antonyms of “decipher”
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To convert information into a code or language that is not easily understood without special knowledge.
The spy agency used a secret code to encode their messages.
To convert information into a secret code or cipher to prevent unauthorized access.
The company encrypted their sensitive data to protect it from hackers.
To make someone uncertain or unable to understand something.
The complex instructions confused the new employee.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Encode and encrypt are similar in that they both involve converting information into a code, but encrypt specifically refers to making the code secret to prevent unauthorized access.
- 2Confuse is different from decipher because it means to make something unclear or difficult to understand, while decipher means to make something clear and understandable.
Good things to know
- 1Computer Science: Use encode and encrypt when discussing data security and cryptography.
- 2Communication: Use confuse to describe situations where people are having difficulty understanding each other.
- 3Language Learning: Use decipher to teach students how to read and understand texts in a foreign language.