Definitions and Examples of abandon, neglect, ignore
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To leave behind or give up completely; to desert or forsake.
The company decided to abandon the project due to financial constraints.
To fail to take care of or pay attention to; to disregard or ignore.
The landlord was accused of neglecting the maintenance of the building.
To refuse to acknowledge or pay attention to; to overlook or disregard.
She chose to ignore his rude behavior and focus on her work instead.
Key Differences: abandon vs neglect vs ignore
- 1Abandon implies a complete and permanent withdrawal of support or involvement.
- 2Neglect suggests a failure to provide proper care or attention, often resulting in harm or damage.
- 3Ignore conveys a deliberate act of disregarding or overlooking something or someone.
Effective Usage of abandon, neglect, ignore
- 1Enhance Vocabulary: Learn and use these antonyms to expand your vocabulary.
- 2Improve Writing: Incorporate these antonyms in your writing to add depth and variety.
- 3Express Disapproval: Use these antonyms to express disapproval or criticism of someone's actions.
The antonyms of dedicate are abandon, neglect, and ignore. These words have negative connotations and imply a lack of attention, care, or commitment. Use them to enhance your vocabulary, improve your writing, and express disapproval or criticism of someone's actions.