What is the antonym of “deference”?
The antonym of deference are disrespect, contempt, and defiance. These words convey a lack of respect or regard for someone or something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Lack of respect or courtesy; rudeness.
His disrespect towards his elders was unacceptable.
A feeling of disdain or scorn for someone or something regarded as inferior, worthless, or undeserving.
She looked at him with contempt after he made the offensive remark.
Open resistance or disobedience to authority or rules.
His defiance towards the teacher's instructions got him into trouble.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Disrespect is a general term that describes a lack of respect or courtesy.
- 2Contempt is a stronger term that conveys a feeling of disdain or scorn for someone or something regarded as inferior, worthless, or undeserving.
- 3Defiance is a relational term that describes open resistance or disobedience to authority or rules.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use these antonyms to express a lack of respect or regard for someone or something.
- 2Show Disapproval: Incorporate these antonyms in conversations to demonstrate disapproval or condemnation.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in writing to create contrasting characters or situations.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Disrespect conveys a lack of respect or courtesy, contempt denotes disdain or scorn, and defiance refers to open resistance or disobedience. Use these words to enhance communication, show disapproval, and enrich writing by creating contrasting characters or situations.