What is the antonym of “delicacy”?
The antonyms of delicacy are coarseness, crudeness, and insensitivity. These antonyms convey a lack of refinement, sensitivity, or tact.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Lack of refinement or sensitivity; roughness in texture or manner.
His coarseness in language and behavior made everyone uncomfortable.
Lack of sophistication or subtlety; rudeness or vulgarity in behavior or speech.
Her crudeness in jokes and comments offended many people.
Lack of awareness or consideration for others' feelings or needs; indifference or callousness.
His insensitivity to her emotional state made her feel unheard and unvalued.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Coarseness refers to roughness in texture or manner, while crudeness denotes a lack of sophistication or subtlety.
- 2Insensitivity is different from the other two antonyms as it refers to a lack of awareness or consideration for others' feelings or needs.
Good things to know
- 1Improve Communication: Use these antonyms to describe behaviors or attitudes that lack refinement or sensitivity.
- 2Develop Empathy: Incorporate these antonyms in conversations to demonstrate understanding of different perspectives.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create contrasting characters or settings.