What is the antonym of “deoxidate”?
The antonyms of deoxidate are oxidize and oxygenate. The antonyms oxidize and oxygenate convey the opposite meaning of removing oxygen from a substance.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To combine or react with oxygen, causing a substance to become more highly oxidized.
When iron is exposed to air and moisture, it will oxidize and form rust.
To add oxygen to a substance, often to improve its quality or performance.
The hospital uses a machine to oxygenate the blood of patients who have trouble breathing.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Oxidize refers to the process of combining or reacting with oxygen, while deoxidate refers to the process of removing oxygen.
- 2Oxygenate refers to the process of adding oxygen to a substance to improve its quality or performance.
Good things to know
- 1Chemistry: Use these antonyms to describe chemical reactions that involve the addition or removal of oxygen.
- 2Environmental Science: Utilize these antonyms to explain the process of oxidation and deoxidation in natural systems.
- 3Engineering: Incorporate these antonyms to describe the effects of oxygen on materials and their properties.
The antonyms oxidize and oxygenate convey the opposite meaning of removing and adding oxygen to a substance, respectively. Use these words in chemistry, environmental science, and engineering contexts to describe chemical reactions, natural systems, and material properties.