What is the antonym of “deport”?
The antonyms of deport are admit and welcome. The antonyms admit and welcome convey a positive or accepting attitude towards someone or something. They imply a willingness to allow entry or inclusion.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To allow someone or something to enter or be included in a place or situation.
The hospital will admit patients with serious illnesses.
To greet someone or something with pleasure or approval; to show hospitality.
The hostess will welcome her guests with a smile and refreshments.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Admit implies allowing entry or inclusion, while deport implies forcing someone to leave a place or country.
- 2Welcome implies showing hospitality and pleasure towards someone or something, while deport implies hostility and rejection towards someone.
Good things to know
- 1Travel: Use admit when talking about entering a country or a place.
- 2Hospitality: Use welcome when talking about greeting guests or visitors.
- 3Politics: Use deport when talking about expelling someone from a country due to legal reasons.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Admit implies allowing entry or inclusion, while welcome implies showing hospitality and pleasure towards someone or something. Use these words in different contexts such as travel, hospitality, and politics to convey the intended meaning.