What is the antonym of “derided”?
The antonyms of derided are praise and compliment. The antonyms praise and compliment convey a positive or approving emotional state. It implies a feeling of admiration, approval, or appreciation.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To express admiration or approval for someone or something.
The teacher praised the student for their excellent performance in the exam.
To express admiration or approval for someone's appearance, behavior, or achievements.
She complimented her friend on her new dress and said it looked stunning on her.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Praise is a general term that describes expressing admiration or approval for someone or something.
- 2Compliment is a more specific term that describes expressing admiration or approval for someone's appearance, behavior, or achievements.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use praise and compliment to express admiration or approval effectively.
- 2Show Appreciation: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to demonstrate gratitude.
- 3Enrich Storytelling: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create relatable characters and compelling stories.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Praise conveys general admiration, while compliment refers to admiration for someone's appearance, behavior, or achievements. Use these words to enhance communication, show appreciation in conversations, and enrich storytelling by creating relatable characters and compelling narratives.