What is the antonym of “derogatory”?
The antonym of derogatory are complimentary, flattering, and approving. These words convey a positive or approving tone, implying praise, admiration, or respect.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Expressing praise, admiration, or approval.
The chef received complimentary feedback from the food critics for his innovative dishes.
Tending to enhance or show off someone's best qualities; pleasing or attractive.
The dress was flattering on her figure and made her look elegant and confident.
Expressing or indicating agreement, support, or consent.
The manager gave his approving nod to the new project proposal, signaling his endorsement and support.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Complimentary implies praise or admiration, while flattering suggests that something enhances or shows off someone's best qualities.
- 2Approving is a relational antonym that indicates agreement or support, while derogatory conveys disapproval or criticism.
Good things to know
- 1Positive Feedback: Use complimentary and flattering to express praise or admiration for someone's work, appearance, or personality.
- 2Agreement and Support: Use approving to indicate agreement or support for someone's ideas, actions, or decisions.
- 3Avoid Insults: Avoid using derogatory words that may offend or hurt someone's feelings.
The antonyms of derogatory are complimentary, flattering, and approving. Use these words to express praise, admiration, agreement, or support, and avoid using derogatory words that may offend or hurt someone's feelings.