What is the antonym of “descends”?
The antonyms of descends are ascend, rise, and climb. These words describe the opposite action of going down, moving up or increasing in height or level.
See all the antonyms of “descends”
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To go up or climb; to move from a lower to a higher position.
The hikers had to ascend a steep mountain to reach the summit.
To move upwards; to increase in height, level, or amount.
The sun will rise in the east tomorrow morning.
To go up or ascend by using hands and feet; to scale or mount.
The children were excited to climb the tree and see the view from the top.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Ascend is used when talking about going up or climbing a slope or incline.
- 2Rise is used when talking about something increasing in height, level, or amount.
- 3Climb is used when talking about physically scaling or mounting something.
Good things to know
- 1Outdoor Activities: Use ascend and climb when describing outdoor activities such as hiking, rock climbing, or tree climbing.
- 2Economics: Use rise when discussing economic trends such as inflation, interest rates, or stock prices.
- 3Science: Use ascend and rise when discussing scientific concepts such as air pressure, temperature, or water levels.