What is the antonym of “deserving”?
The antonyms of deserving are undeserving, unworthy, and discreditable. These words convey the opposite meaning of deserving, which means not having earned or being entitled to something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not having earned or being entitled to something.
He felt that he was undeserving of the award because he had not put in enough effort.
Not deserving respect or admiration; not having merit or value.
His dishonest behavior made him unworthy of our trust.
Bringing shame or disgrace; damaging to one's reputation.
His discreditable actions caused him to lose his job.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Undeserving implies not having earned or being entitled to something.
- 2Unworthy suggests not deserving respect or admiration due to a lack of merit or value.
- 3Discreditable refers to actions that bring shame or disgrace and damage one's reputation.
Good things to know
- 1Express Opinions: Use these antonyms to express your opinion on someone's actions or behavior.
- 2Discuss Ethics: Incorporate these antonyms in discussions about ethics and morality.
- 3Evaluate Performance: Use these antonyms to evaluate someone's performance or worthiness for a particular task or position.
The antonyms of deserving are undeserving, unworthy, and discreditable. These words convey the opposite meaning of deserving and can be used to express opinions, discuss ethics, and evaluate performance.