Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Having qualities or characteristics in common; resembling something else.
The two dresses are similar in style, but one is blue and the other is red.
Identical or not different; being one without addition, change, or discontinuance.
The two cups are the same size and shape.
Exactly the same, alike in every way.
The twins look so identical that it's hard to tell them apart.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Similar means having some qualities or characteristics in common, but not exactly the same.
- 2Same means identical or not different, and refers to a single object or entity.
- 3Identical means exactly the same, and refers to two or more objects or entities that are indistinguishable from each other.
Good things to know
- 1Comparing Objects: Use different and its antonyms to compare and contrast objects.
- 2Describing People: Use similar to describe people who share common traits or interests.
- 3Emphasizing Differences: Use same and identical to emphasize that two or more things are exactly the same.
The antonyms of different are similar, same, and identical. Use these words to compare and contrast objects, describe people who share common traits or interests, and emphasize differences between objects or entities.