What is the antonym of “dilapidating”?
The antonyms of dilapidating are restore, repair, and maintain. These words convey the opposite meaning of dilapidating, which means to cause something to fall into disrepair or ruin.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To bring back to its original condition; to repair or renovate.
The old house was restored to its former glory after years of neglect.
To fix or mend something that is broken or damaged.
The mechanic was able to repair the car's engine and get it running again.
To keep something in good condition by regularly checking and fixing any issues.
It's important to maintain your car by getting regular oil changes and tune-ups.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Restore implies bringing something back to its original condition, while repair means fixing something that is broken or damaged.
- 2Maintain involves keeping something in good condition by regularly checking and fixing any issues, while dilapidating means causing something to fall into disrepair or ruin.
Good things to know
- 1Home Improvement: Use restore and repair when talking about fixing up a house or other property.
- 2Vehicle Maintenance: Use maintain when discussing how to keep a car or other vehicle in good condition.
- 3General Usage: Use these antonyms in everyday conversation to express the opposite of dilapidating.