What is the antonym of “diluted”?
The antonym of diluted is concentrated, undiluted, and pure. The antonyms concentrated, undiluted, and pure convey the opposite meaning of diluted. They imply a stronger, more potent, or less watered-down version of something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Containing a high proportion of a particular substance; made denser or stronger by removing water or other diluting agents.
The concentrated orange juice tasted much stronger than the diluted one.
Not mixed or weakened with any other substance; pure and strong.
The undiluted perfume was too strong for her to wear.
Not mixed or adulterated with any other substance; clean, clear, or free from impurities.
She preferred to drink pure water instead of the diluted one.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Concentrated implies a higher proportion of a particular substance, while diluted implies a lower proportion.
- 2Undiluted implies a pure and strong form of something, while diluted implies a weaker or watered-down version.
- 3Pure implies a clean, clear, or free-from-impurities form of something, while diluted implies a mixture with other substances.
Good things to know
- 1Cooking: Use concentrated to describe a stronger flavor or aroma in food or drinks.
- 2Chemistry: Use undiluted to describe a pure and strong chemical substance.
- 3Health: Use pure to describe clean and safe drinking water or food.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Concentrated implies a higher proportion, undiluted implies a pure and strong form, and pure implies a clean and clear form. Use these words in different contexts such as cooking, chemistry, and health to convey the opposite meaning of diluted.