What is the antonym of “disable”?
The antonyms of disable are enable, empower, and strengthen. The antonyms enable, empower, and strengthen convey a positive or active state. It implies the ability to do something, to have power, or to be strong.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To give someone or something the ability or means to do something.
The new software will enable us to work more efficiently.
To give someone the authority or power to do something.
The company's goal is to empower its employees to make decisions and take ownership of their work.
To make something stronger or more resilient.
Regular exercise can help strengthen your muscles and improve your overall health.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Enable refers to giving someone or something the ability or means to do something.
- 2Empower refers to giving someone the authority or power to do something.
- 3Strengthen refers to making something stronger or more resilient.
Good things to know
- 1In Technology: Use enable to describe features that allow users to perform certain actions.
- 2In Leadership: Use empower to describe the process of delegating authority and responsibility to others.
- 3In Fitness: Use strengthen to describe exercises that build muscle and improve physical fitness.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Enable refers to giving ability or means, empower refers to giving authority or power, and strengthen refers to making something stronger. Use these words in technology to describe features, in leadership to delegate authority, and in fitness to describe exercises that build muscle.