What is the antonym of “discourteously”?
The antonyms of discourteously are courteously, politely, and civilly. These antonyms convey a positive and respectful attitude towards others. They imply being polite, well-mannered, and considerate.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
In a polite and respectful manner.
He courteously held the door open for the elderly woman.
In a courteous and respectful manner.
She politely declined the invitation, explaining that she had other plans.
In a polite and respectful manner, without being overly friendly or familiar.
Despite their differences, they were able to discuss the issue civilly and come to a compromise.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Courteously implies showing good manners and respect towards others in a formal or professional setting.
- 2Politely implies being respectful and considerate towards others in a more casual or social setting.
- 3Civilly implies being polite and respectful towards others while maintaining a certain level of formality and distance.
Good things to know
- 1Daily Interactions: Use these antonyms to show respect and consideration towards others in daily interactions.
- 2Professional Settings: Use courteously to convey professionalism and respect in business or formal settings.
- 3Social Settings: Use politely to show good manners and respect in social situations.
- 4De-escalation: Use civilly to maintain a respectful tone and avoid escalating conflicts.
The antonyms courteously, politely, and civilly convey a positive and respectful attitude towards others. Use them to show respect and consideration in daily interactions, convey professionalism in business or formal settings, and maintain a respectful tone in social situations or when de-escalating conflicts.