What is the antonym of “discover”?
The antonyms of discover are lose and miss. The antonyms lose and miss convey the opposite meaning of finding or uncovering something. They imply a failure to locate or keep track of something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To be unable to find something or someone that was previously in one's possession or control.
I always lose my keys when I'm in a hurry.
To fail to hit, catch, or reach something aimed at; to be too late for.
I missed the train by just a few seconds.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Lose implies that something was in one's possession or control but was misplaced or disappeared.
- 2Miss implies that something was aimed at or targeted but was not reached or achieved.
Good things to know
- 1Everyday Conversation: Use lose and miss to describe situations where something was not found or achieved.
- 2Travel: Use lose and miss when talking about missed flights, trains, or buses.
- 3Sports: Use miss to describe a failed attempt to hit or catch a ball or other object.
The antonyms lose and miss convey the opposite meaning of finding or uncovering something. Lose implies something was in one's possession or control but was misplaced or disappeared, while miss implies something was aimed at or targeted but was not reached or achieved. Use these words in everyday conversation, travel, and sports contexts.