What is the antonym of “dispensable”?
The antonyms of dispensable are indispensable, necessary, and vital. These words convey the opposite meaning of dispensable, which means something that is not essential or can be done away with.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Absolutely necessary or essential; cannot be done without.
The IT department is indispensable to the smooth running of the company.
Needed to achieve a particular purpose or goal; essential.
It is necessary to wear a helmet while riding a bike.
Absolutely necessary or important; essential for life or success.
Good communication skills are vital for a successful career.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Indispensable is an absolute term that describes something that cannot be done without.
- 2Necessary is a more general term that describes something that is needed to achieve a particular purpose or goal.
- 3Vital is a term that describes something that is absolutely necessary or important for life or success.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Vocabulary: Use these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and express yourself more precisely.
- 2Improve Writing: Incorporate these antonyms in your writing to add depth and clarity to your ideas.
- 3Enrich Reading: Look for these antonyms in your reading materials to improve your comprehension and understanding of the text.
The antonyms of dispensable are indispensable, necessary, and vital. These words have distinct nuances and can be used to enhance vocabulary, improve writing, and enrich reading. Use indispensable to describe something that cannot be done without, necessary to describe something that is needed to achieve a particular purpose or goal, and vital to describe something that is absolutely necessary or important for life or success.