What is the antonym of “dissentious”?
The antonym of dissentious is agreeable, conciliatory, and harmonious. The antonyms agreeable, conciliatory, and harmonious convey a positive or cooperative attitude. It implies a willingness to compromise, reconcile, or work together.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Pleasant or enjoyable; willing to agree or consent.
The weather was so agreeable that we decided to have a picnic in the park.
Intended to make peace or amends; willing to compromise or reconcile.
He made a conciliatory gesture by offering her a cup of coffee and apologizing for his behavior.
Marked by agreement in feeling, attitude, or action; free from discord or conflict.
The choir's performance was so harmonious that it brought tears to everyone's eyes.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Agreeable describes a person or thing that is pleasant or easy to deal with.
- 2Conciliatory describes a person or action that is intended to make peace or reconcile differences.
- 3Harmonious describes a situation or relationship that is marked by agreement, cooperation, or lack of conflict.
Good things to know
- 1Negotiations: Use conciliatory to suggest a willingness to compromise and find common ground.
- 2Social Interactions: Use agreeable to describe people or things that are pleasant or easy to deal with.
- 3Teamwork: Use harmonious to describe situations or relationships that are marked by agreement, cooperation, or lack of conflict.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Agreeable conveys a pleasant or easy-to-deal-with attitude, conciliatory suggests a willingness to compromise or reconcile, and harmonious refers to a situation or relationship marked by agreement and cooperation. Use these words in negotiations, social interactions, and teamwork to convey a positive and cooperative attitude.