What is the antonym of “drain”?
The antonyms of drain are fill, flood, and irrigate. The antonyms fill, flood, and irrigate convey the opposite meaning of drain which is to remove or take away water or other liquid from a place.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To make something full or complete by adding more of something.
Please fill the glass with water.
To cover or submerge an area with water, especially in a way that causes damage.
The river flooded the town after heavy rains.
To supply water to land or crops to help them grow.
Farmers use canals to irrigate their fields.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Fill means to add more of something to make it full or complete.
- 2Flood means to cover or submerge an area with water, often causing damage.
- 3Irrigate means to supply water to land or crops to help them grow.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Vocabulary: Use these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and express yourself more precisely.
- 2Improve Writing: Incorporate these antonyms in your writing to make it more descriptive and engaging.
- 3Enrich Learning: Utilize these antonyms to learn about different contexts and situations where they can be used.