What is the antonym of “earned”?
The antonyms of earned are unearned and undeserved. The antonyms unearned and undeserved convey a lack of deserving or earning something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not gained or obtained through effort, work, or merit.
He inherited a large sum of money from his grandfather, which he considered unearned.
Not merited or earned; not deserved.
She received a promotion at work, but some of her colleagues thought it was undeserved.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Unearned refers to something that is not gained through effort or work, while undeserved refers to something that is not deserved or merited.
- 2Unearned is an absolute term, while undeserved is a relative term that depends on the perception of others.
Good things to know
- 1Academic Writing: Use these antonyms to discuss the concept of merit and deservingness in academic papers.
- 2Legal Documents: Incorporate these antonyms in legal documents to describe the nature of income or benefits.
- 3Personal Finance: Use these antonyms to differentiate between earned and unearned income for tax purposes.