What is the antonym of “eastwardly”?
The antonyms of eastwardly are westwardly, westerly, and western. These words convey the opposite direction or position from east.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Towards the west; in the direction of the setting sun.
The pioneers traveled westwardly in search of new opportunities.
Situated in, moving towards, or coming from the west.
The westerly winds brought a cool breeze to the beach.
Relating to or situated in the west, or directed towards or facing the west.
The western part of the country is known for its beautiful landscapes.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Westwardly describes a direction towards the west.
- 2Westerly describes a position or movement towards the west.
- 3Western describes a location or orientation towards the west.
Good things to know
- 1Navigation: Use these antonyms to give directions or describe locations.
- 2Geography: Incorporate these words in geography lessons to teach cardinal directions.
- 3Travel: Utilize these antonyms when discussing travel destinations or routes.
The antonyms of eastwardly convey the opposite direction or position from east. Westwardly describes a direction, westerly describes a position or movement, and western describes a location or orientation. Use these words in navigation, geography, and travel contexts.