What is the antonym of “echo”?
The antonyms of echo are silence and quiet. The antonyms silence and quiet convey a lack of sound or noise. It implies an absence of any audible disturbance.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The absence of sound or noise; complete stillness.
The library was so quiet that you could hear a pin drop, and the silence was almost deafening.
Making very little noise; free from loud sounds or disturbances.
The baby finally fell asleep, and the quiet in the house was a welcome relief.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Silence is a noun that describes the complete absence of sound or noise.
- 2Quiet is an adjective that describes something that makes very little noise or is free from loud sounds or disturbances.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Writing: Use silence and quiet to create vivid descriptions of peaceful or serene environments.
- 2Improve Vocabulary: Incorporate antonyms in daily conversations to expand your vocabulary.
- 3Express Emotions: Use these antonyms to express emotions effectively, such as when you want to describe a moment of peace or tranquility.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Silence conveys the complete absence of sound or noise, while quiet describes something that makes very little noise or is free from loud sounds or disturbances. Use these words to enhance writing, improve vocabulary, and express emotions effectively.