What is the antonym of “edible”?
The antonyms of edible are inedible and unpalatable. The antonyms inedible and unpalatable describe food that is not fit for consumption due to its taste, texture, or quality.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not suitable or safe for consumption; unfit to be eaten.
The berries on this plant are inedible and can cause stomach upset if ingested.
Having an unpleasant taste or flavor; not appetizing.
The soup was so unpalatable that I couldn't finish it.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Inedible refers to food that is not safe or suitable for consumption.
- 2Unpalatable refers to food that has an unpleasant taste or flavor.
Good things to know
- 1Food Reviews: Use inedible and unpalatable to describe food that is not fit for consumption or does not taste good.
- 2Cooking Shows: Incorporate these antonyms in cooking shows to explain what not to do when preparing food.
- 3Health and Safety: Use inedible to warn people about poisonous or harmful foods.