What is the antonym of “effloresce”?
The antonyms of effloresce are wither, decay, and deteriorate. These words describe the opposite of blooming or flourishing. They imply a state of decline, deterioration, or decay.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To become dry, shrunken, and faded, often due to lack of water or nutrients.
The flowers in the vase began to wither after a few days without water.
To decompose or rot, often due to the action of bacteria or fungi.
The fallen leaves on the ground started to decay and turn into compost.
To become worse in quality, condition, or value over time.
The old building started to deteriorate due to neglect and lack of maintenance.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Wither describes the process of drying up and losing moisture, often due to lack of water or nutrients.
- 2Decay describes the process of breaking down and decomposing, often due to the action of bacteria or fungi.
- 3Deteriorate describes the process of becoming worse in quality, condition, or value over time, often due to neglect or wear and tear.
Good things to know
- 1Gardening: Use wither to describe plants that are dying or losing their vitality.
- 2Health: Use decay to describe the process of tooth decay or the decomposition of organic matter.
- 3Economics: Use deteriorate to describe the decline of a company's financial performance or the worsening of economic conditions.