What is the antonym of “empathetic”?
The antonyms of empathetic are unsympathetic, indifferent, and apathetic. These words describe a lack of understanding or concern for others' feelings, needs, or experiences.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not showing or feeling concern or compassion for others' suffering or problems.
The boss was unsympathetic to his employees' complaints and refused to make any changes.
Having no particular interest or concern; neither good nor bad.
She was indifferent to the outcome of the game since she wasn't a fan of either team.
Showing or feeling no interest, enthusiasm, or concern.
He was apathetic towards politics and didn't bother to vote in the elections.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Unsympathetic implies a lack of compassion or concern for others' suffering or problems.
- 2Indifferent suggests a lack of interest or concern, without necessarily being negative or positive.
- 3Apathetic conveys a lack of interest, enthusiasm, or concern towards something.
Good things to know
- 1Express Opinions: Use these antonyms to express your views on people's attitudes or behaviors.
- 2Discuss Relationships: Incorporate these words in conversations about interpersonal relationships.
- 3Analyze Characters: Utilize these antonyms to analyze characters in literature or media.
The antonyms of empathetic are unsympathetic, indifferent, and apathetic. These words describe a lack of understanding or concern for others' feelings, needs, or experiences. Use them to express opinions, discuss relationships, or analyze characters in literature or media.