What is the antonym of “empathy”?
The antonyms of empathy are apathy and indifference. The antonyms apathy and indifference convey a lack of interest, concern, or emotion towards others.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Lack of interest, concern, or emotion towards something or someone.
His apathy towards the environment was evident when he threw his trash on the ground.
Lack of interest, sympathy, or concern for something or someone.
Her indifference towards her friend's problems made her seem uncaring.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Apathy is a lack of interest or emotion towards something or someone, while indifference is a lack of concern or sympathy.
- 2Apathy can be seen as a passive state, while indifference can be seen as an active choice to not care.
- 3Apathy can be temporary, while indifference is often a long-term attitude.
Good things to know
- 1Social Issues: Use these antonyms to discuss social issues such as lack of empathy in society.
- 2Relationships: Incorporate these antonyms in conversations about relationships and how they can be affected by a lack of empathy.
- 3Vocabulary Building: Learn and practice using these antonyms to expand your vocabulary.
The antonyms of empathy are apathy and indifference. Apathy is a lack of interest or emotion, while indifference is a lack of concern or sympathy. These antonyms can be used to discuss social issues, relationships, and to expand your vocabulary.