What is the antonym of “emphasis”?
The antonyms of emphasis are de-emphasis and understatement. The antonyms de-emphasis and understatement convey a lack of emphasis or importance. It implies a reduction in the significance or impact of something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A reduction in the emphasis or importance given to something.
The company's new strategy involves a de-emphasis on traditional advertising methods.
A statement that represents something as less important or significant than it really is.
When asked about his achievements, he made an understatement by saying he had 'done okay'.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1De-emphasis refers to a reduction in the emphasis or importance given to something.
- 2Understatement refers to a statement that represents something as less important or significant than it really is.
Good things to know
- 1Business Communication: Use emphasis to highlight important points and de-emphasis to reduce the significance of less important ones.
- 2Humor: Use understatement to create a humorous effect by downplaying the significance of something.
- 3Academic Writing: Use emphasis to draw attention to key findings or arguments and understatement to indicate modesty or caution in making claims.