What is the antonym of “encounter”?
The antonyms of encounter are avoid and evade. The antonyms avoid and evade convey the idea of staying away from something or someone, either to prevent harm or to escape danger.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To keep away from; to prevent from happening.
He decided to avoid the rush hour traffic by leaving early in the morning.
To escape or avoid by cleverness or deceit.
The thief managed to evade the police by hiding in an abandoned building.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Avoid implies a deliberate effort to stay away from something or someone.
- 2Evade suggests using cleverness or deceit to escape or avoid something.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use avoid and evade to express the idea of staying away from something or someone.
- 2Show Empathy: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to demonstrate understanding.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create tension and suspense.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Avoid implies a deliberate effort to stay away, while evade suggests using cleverness or deceit to escape. Use these words to enhance communication, show empathy in conversations, and enrich writing by creating tension and suspense.