What is the antonym of “enlightened”?
The antonyms of enlightened are ignorant, uninformed, and narrow-minded. These words describe a lack of knowledge, understanding, or open-mindedness.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something.
He was ignorant of the fact that the event had been canceled.
Not having enough knowledge or information about a particular subject or situation.
She was uninformed about the new company policy and made a mistake.
Not willing to consider different ideas, opinions, or perspectives; intolerant or prejudiced.
His narrow-minded views on politics made it hard for him to have a civil conversation with people who disagreed with him.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Ignorant implies a lack of knowledge or awareness about something specific.
- 2Uninformed suggests a general lack of knowledge or information about a subject or situation.
- 3Narrow-minded describes a person who is not open to different ideas or perspectives.
Good things to know
- 1Education: Use these antonyms to discuss the importance of learning and being open-minded.
- 2Social Issues: Incorporate these antonyms in conversations about prejudice, discrimination, and intolerance.
- 3Politics: Utilize these antonyms to describe different political ideologies and attitudes.
The antonyms of enlightened describe a lack of knowledge, understanding, or open-mindedness. Ignorant implies a lack of knowledge about something specific, uninformed suggests a general lack of knowledge, and narrow-minded describes a person who is not open to different ideas or perspectives. Use these antonyms to discuss education, social issues, and politics.