What is the antonym of “enounce”?
The antonyms of enounce are mumble, stammer, and slur. These words describe the opposite of enouncing, which is to speak clearly and distinctly.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To speak indistinctly or in a low voice, making it difficult for others to hear or understand.
He tends to mumble when he's nervous, so I always have to ask him to repeat himself.
To speak with involuntary pauses or repetitions, often due to nervousness or speech impediments.
She was so nervous during the presentation that she started to stammer and forget her lines.
To speak unclearly or with a lack of articulation, often due to drunkenness or laziness.
He had too much to drink and started to slur his words, making it hard for us to understand what he was saying.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Mumble refers to speaking indistinctly or in a low voice, making it difficult for others to hear or understand.
- 2Stammer describes speaking with involuntary pauses or repetitions, often due to nervousness or speech impediments.
- 3Slur means speaking unclearly or with a lack of articulation, often due to drunkenness or laziness.
Good things to know
- 1Improve Communication: Use enounce to convey clear and concise messages.
- 2Develop Confidence: Practice speaking clearly to avoid mumbling, stammering, or slurring.
- 3Enhance Public Speaking: Incorporate these antonyms in speeches to demonstrate the importance of speaking clearly and effectively.