What is the antonym of “enthusiastically”?
The antonyms of enthusiastically are unenthusiastically and apathetically. The antonyms unenthusiastically and apathetically convey a lack of interest, excitement, or passion.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Without enthusiasm or eagerness; lacking interest or passion.
She unenthusiastically agreed to attend the meeting, knowing it would be boring.
Without emotion or feeling; showing no interest or concern.
He listened apathetically to the news, not reacting to any of the stories.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Unenthusiastically implies a lack of enthusiasm or eagerness, while apathetically suggests a lack of emotion or feeling.
- 2Unenthusiastically is a gradable antonym, meaning it can be used in varying degrees, while apathetically is a complementary antonym, meaning it is either present or absent.
Good things to know
- 1Expressing Disinterest: Use unenthusiastically or apathetically to describe a lack of interest or passion.
- 2Describing Reactions: Use apathetically to describe a lack of emotional response to a situation.
- 3Comparing Degrees: Use unenthusiastically to compare varying degrees of enthusiasm or eagerness.
The antonyms of enthusiastically are unenthusiastically and apathetically. Unenthusiastically implies a lack of enthusiasm or eagerness, while apathetically suggests a lack of emotion or feeling. Use these words to express disinterest, describe reactions, and compare degrees of enthusiasm.