What is the antonym of “entrance”?
The antonyms of entrance are exit and egress. The antonyms exit and egress refer to a way out or a point of departure, while entrance refers to a way in or a point of entry.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A way out or a point of departure from a place or a situation.
Please use the emergency exit in case of fire.
A way out or a point of departure from a building or a confined space.
The egress was blocked by debris after the earthquake.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Exit is a more general term that refers to any way out or point of departure, while egress specifically refers to a way out of a building or a confined space.
- 2Entrance refers to a way in or a point of entry, while exit and egress refer to ways out or points of departure.
Good things to know
- 1Navigation: Use entrance to ask for directions to a place, and exit or egress to find a way out.
- 2Safety: Use exit or egress to indicate emergency exits and evacuation routes.
- 3Architecture: Use entrance and egress to describe the design and layout of buildings and spaces.