What is the antonym of “exact”?
The antonyms of exact are inaccurate, imprecise, and approximate. These words convey a lack of precision or accuracy in describing something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not accurate; containing errors or mistakes.
The news report was inaccurate and contained several factual errors.
Lacking exactness or accuracy; not clearly defined or specified.
The instructions were imprecise and left us confused about what to do next.
Close to the actual, but not completely accurate or precise.
The approximate cost of the project was estimated to be around $10,000.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Inaccurate implies that there are errors or mistakes in the description.
- 2Imprecise suggests that the description is not clearly defined or specified.
- 3Approximate indicates that the description is close to the actual value, but not completely accurate or precise.
Good things to know
- 1Mathematics: Use these antonyms to describe the level of accuracy in mathematical calculations.
- 2Science: Utilize these words to describe the precision of scientific measurements.
- 3Daily Life: Use these words to describe the accuracy of information, such as news reports or weather forecasts.
The antonyms of exact are inaccurate, imprecise, and approximate. These words convey a lack of precision or accuracy in describing something. Use them in mathematics, science, and daily life to describe the level of accuracy or precision in various contexts.