What is the antonym of “exasperate”?
The antonyms of exasperate are calm, soothe, and pacify. These words convey a sense of tranquility, relaxation, and peace. They are used to describe actions that reduce or eliminate feelings of anger, frustration, or irritation.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not showing or feeling nervousness, anger, or other strong emotions; peaceful.
She took a deep breath to calm herself before giving the presentation.
Gently calm (a person or their feelings).
The sound of the waves helped to soothe her anxiety.
Quell the anger, agitation, or excitement of.
The teacher tried to pacify the students by offering them extra recess time.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Calm is an adjective that describes a state of tranquility or peacefulness.
- 2Soothe is a verb that describes an action that gently calms a person or their feelings.
- 3Pacify is a verb that describes an action that quells anger, agitation, or excitement.
Good things to know
- 1Conflict Resolution: Use calm, soothe, and pacify to de-escalate tense situations and resolve conflicts peacefully.
- 2Stress Management: Incorporate these antonyms in self-talk to manage stress and anxiety effectively.
- 3Parenting: Utilize these antonyms to calm down children who are upset or agitated.