What is the antonym of “excel”?
The antonyms of excel are underperform, fail, and struggle. These words convey a lack of success or proficiency in a particular area.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To perform below expectations or standards.
The team underperformed in the tournament and failed to make it to the finals.
To be unsuccessful in achieving a goal or passing a test.
He failed the driving test for the third time and had to take lessons again.
To have difficulty with something; to make a great effort to do something.
She struggled to understand the complex math problem and asked her teacher for help.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Underperform implies falling short of expectations or standards, while excel implies exceeding them.
- 2Fail is a complementary antonym that denotes a complete lack of success, while excel implies a high degree of success.
- 3Struggle is a relational antonym that describes the difficulty in achieving success, while excel implies ease or proficiency.
Good things to know
- 1Academic Writing: Use these antonyms to describe academic performance in essays and reports.
- 2Performance Reviews: Incorporate these antonyms in performance reviews to provide constructive feedback.
- 3Goal-Setting: Utilize these antonyms to set realistic goals and measure progress.