What is the antonym of “excellent”?
The antonyms of excellent are poor, inferior, and mediocre. These words convey a negative or low-quality connotation, implying that something is not good or satisfactory.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Lacking in quality or standard; not good enough.
The service at the restaurant was poor and the food was cold.
Lower in quality, value, or rank than others of its kind.
The store-brand product was inferior to the name-brand product in terms of taste and quality.
Of only average quality; not very good.
The movie received mediocre reviews and was not very popular with audiences.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Poor implies a lack of quality or standard, while inferior suggests being lower in quality or rank than others of its kind.
- 2Inferior is a complementary antonym to excellent, meaning it is the opposite end of the spectrum, while poor and mediocre are gradable antonyms.
- 3Mediocre implies being of only average quality, while poor suggests being below average.
Good things to know
- 1Product Reviews: Use these antonyms to describe the quality of products or services.
- 2Academic Writing: Incorporate these antonyms in essays or research papers to express contrasting ideas.
- 3Job Interviews: Use these antonyms to describe your work performance or to evaluate the performance of others.
The antonyms of excellent are poor, inferior, and mediocre. Poor implies a lack of quality, inferior suggests being lower in quality or rank, and mediocre implies being of only average quality. These antonyms can be used to describe the quality of products or services, in academic writing, or during job interviews to evaluate work performance.