What is the antonym of “excessiveness”?
The antonyms of excessiveness are moderation and restraint. The antonyms moderation and restraint convey a sense of control, balance, and limitation. They imply avoiding extremes and finding a middle ground.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The quality of avoiding extremes or excesses; finding a balanced and reasonable approach.
He advised his friend to practice moderation in eating and drinking to maintain good health.
The act of holding back, limiting, or controlling oneself or others.
The police used restraint to prevent the protesters from entering the restricted area.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Moderation is a positive term that implies finding a balanced and reasonable approach.
- 2Restraint is a neutral term that implies holding back, limiting, or controlling oneself or others.
Good things to know
- 1Healthy Lifestyle: Encourage the use of moderation in diet, exercise, and other healthy habits.
- 2Conflict Resolution: Promote the use of restraint in situations that require calmness, patience, and diplomacy.
- 3Personal Development: Emphasize the importance of moderation and restraint in achieving personal goals and growth.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Moderation conveys balance and reasonableness, while restraint implies holding back or controlling oneself or others. Use these words to promote healthy habits, conflict resolution, and personal development by finding a middle ground and avoiding extremes.