What is the antonym of “excoriating”?
The antonyms of excoriating are praise and compliment. The antonyms praise and compliment convey a positive or approving sentiment. It implies admiration, approval, or appreciation.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To express approval or admiration for someone or something.
The teacher praised the student for their excellent performance in the exam.
To express admiration or approval for someone's appearance, abilities, or achievements.
She complimented her friend on her new dress and said it looked stunning.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Praise is a general term that describes an expression of approval or admiration.
- 2Compliment is a more specific term that describes an expression of admiration or approval for someone's appearance, abilities, or achievements.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use praise and compliment to express approval or admiration effectively.
- 2Show Appreciation: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to demonstrate gratitude.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create positive and uplifting stories.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Praise conveys general approval, while compliment refers to admiration or approval for someone's appearance, abilities, or achievements. Use these words to enhance communication, show appreciation in conversations, and enrich writing by creating positive and uplifting stories.