What is the antonym of “expects”?
The antonyms of expects are doubt, disbelieve, and ignore. These words convey a lack of belief or confidence in something or someone.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To be uncertain or skeptical about something; to lack confidence in its truth or likelihood.
I doubt that he will show up on time for the meeting.
To reject as false or untrue; to refuse to believe in something.
She disbelieves in ghosts and thinks they are just a figment of people's imagination.
To pay no attention to something or someone; to disregard or overlook it.
He chose to ignore the warning signs and ended up regretting his decision.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Doubt implies uncertainty or skepticism, while disbelieve suggests outright rejection of something as false or untrue.
- 2Ignore means to pay no attention to something or someone, while expects means to anticipate or look forward to something happening.
Good things to know
- 1Express Doubt: Use doubt to express uncertainty or skepticism about something.
- 2Reject Beliefs: Use disbelieve to reject beliefs or ideas that you think are false or untrue.
- 3Disregard: Use ignore to indicate that you are not paying attention to something or someone.
The antonyms of expects are doubt, disbelieve, and ignore. Use doubt to express uncertainty or skepticism, disbelieve to reject beliefs or ideas, and ignore to indicate that you are not paying attention to something or someone.