What is the antonym of “expensive”?
The antonym of expensive is cheap, inexpensive, and affordable. These words describe the opposite of expensive, which means something that is not costly or is reasonably priced.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Costing very little; relatively low in price.
She bought a cheap dress at the thrift store.
Not costing a great deal; affordable.
The restaurant offers inexpensive meals that are delicious.
Within one's financial means; able to be afforded.
The company provides affordable housing for low-income families.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Cheap implies a low price, but it can also suggest poor quality.
- 2Inexpensive suggests a reasonable price without any negative connotations.
- 3Affordable emphasizes the idea of being within one's financial means.
Good things to know
- 1Shopping: Use these antonyms when discussing prices of products.
- 2Housing: Use affordable to describe housing options for low-income families.
- 3Travel: Use these antonyms when discussing travel expenses.
The antonyms of expensive are cheap, inexpensive, and affordable. While cheap can imply poor quality, inexpensive suggests a reasonable price without negative connotations, and affordable emphasizes the idea of being within one's financial means. These antonyms can be used in various contexts such as shopping, housing, and travel.